August 25, 2015

Beginning of a new school year

So, what have we been up to?  Obviously not blogging.  We had an eventful summer...lots of trips to beaches, Greenville, Charlotte, camps, tons of time at the pool with friends and neighbors, birthday celebrations, zoo trips, library trips, bike rides, duck feeding...lots of fun.  But a new school year has started...Elizabeth is in the first grade, Hannah is in two year old preschool, and Julia Lane is enjoying Mother's Morning Out at the new day school.

Elizabeth is loving first grade so far.  She adores her teacher, has already made new friends, and is adjusting to a big change in her schedule (since I am back at work full-time M-Th).


Her teacher is a huge Gamecock fan, and their class theme is "All-Stars."  After my first born independent child insisted on going through the car rider line on her first day of kindergarten and NOT letting her momma walk her in to her class, she humored me this year and I was able to walk her in.  It was special for me.  I am pretty sure she was embarrassed.




Hannah and Julia-Lane are at the same day school two days a week.  Julia-Lane's class is mostly focused on playing nicely with the people around you, but not a ton of structure....after all, they are all one year olds.  Hannah though has graduated from a Mother's Morning Out program to full fledged pre-school....structured pre-school....with rules and times for playing and times for sitting and times for crafts and times for resting.  She is NOT loving the structure so much.  We are hoping she comes around on loving school.


Julia-Lane is still mostly all smiles....although she has conquered a great fake cry with no tears when she is not getting her way/what she wants.  Still super snuggly and so easy going.
 Hannah is all into imaginative play.  She loves to be the mommy and makes me and Elizabeth be the babies/dogs/cats/sister/bad guys.
 And just like her hair in this picture she is still a "hurricane."  We are working on potty training...and it is going really well (when Hannah wants it to).

 The fake cry...

 Elizabeth still wants mostly to just be with her friends...but when she can't be...her and Hannah can be so sweet and kind and have so much fun together. Key word in previous sentence....CAN.
 We started a new tradition of Friday Family Night!  During the week we rarely have dinner together bc of Clark's schedule and extracurricular activities, but Fridays we are making a point to eat together (even if it is a little later than norm), and we always do something fun afterwards (ping-pong, walk to feed ducks, bingo, dance party, etc.)  The big girls love it.  I hope it is something we can continue for a long time.

As these sweet girls mama, I can say I am enjoying the structure being back at work full time and school has forced on us.  The type A in me is thriving on it, and I have even found time to make a point to take care of me (hello weekday lunch break work out sessions and Barre3 classes).  I am hopeful for a wonderful "school year" for these girls and for our entire family.  And I hope the same for you and yours as well!

No comments: