November 18, 2012

November 12-13

The Monday before Hannah was born was a typical day...and I felt just fine...until it was about time to head home from work.  I just didn't feel well.  I was having a lot of Braxton Hicks contractions, and was really tired.  I picked up Elizabeth and we headed home to rest on the couch and wait for Daddy to get home.  I started timing contractions (none that were painful, but this was the first time I had had any with a pattern to them).  I called Missy and my sister with lots of questions....I was thinking it could be the beginning of labor.  By 9 o'clock they had stopped, and I went to bed.  I woke up at 2:00 am with a backache and more contractions.  These were more noticeable....uncomfortable...but not entirely painful.  They were coming every 5-8 minutes.  At 3:00 I called the doctor's office.  I was so nervous, and felt so unprepared...was this it???  I never got to this point with Elizabeth.  I was induced when I showed up to the doctor's office 5 cm dilated and 90% effaced.  The doctor asked me some questions, and told me to come on in to the hospital if they continued for another hour.  I was so scared I might be overreacting, so I took my time waking up Clark, finishing packing, loading the car, just to be sure...Well, things continued as they had, so we finally headed over to MiMi & Bookers to drop of Elizabeth and head to the hospital.  We were thinking we might be meeting Hannah.  We were excited and nervous. 

They did an assessment when I arrived at 6:00 am, but I was only 3 cm dilated.  They wanted to keep me for an hour to see if I progressed.  An hour later the doctor came in to give us some options.  My contraction pattern was steady, but I was still at only 3 cm.  I wasn't in a lot of pain, so I was told I could go home and labor some more at home....I would probably be back that afternoon/evening or the next day to deliver, or the dr. could break my water.  She felt that if she broke my water, I would move into more active labor on my own, and I could have my baby that day.  Well....if you know me at all, I like plans, and the second option sounded much more like a plan to me.  Clark and I talk and decided to go ahead and have my water broken.  After we made that decision at 7:30,  I was admitted and moved into the room where we were to meet Baby Hannah Sloan Rogers.  But not before a few surprises were sent our way...

They got me settled, took some blood, and broke my water at 9:30.  The contractions were already more uncomfortable.  I was at 4 cm.  And then my doctor came and sat on my bed.  I knew it wasn't going to be good news.  It wasn't.  My blood work had shown that I had thrombocytopenia.  Thrombocytopenia, or a low blood platelet count, is encountered in 7-8% of all pregnancies.  It meant that I could not have an epidural.  Talk about scared.  This was not our plan.  We were told a Doula was on her way to assist with the labor.  She arrived at 10:40.  I will spare the details of the labor from that point.  They don't really matter.  I am very thankful that Debbie was there (Doula), and so was Clark.  I am thankful that the doctor that delivered had also delivered a child of her own without an epidural, and that she gave me an honest description of what her experience was like. I joke with Clark now about how much money I saved us....but if we have more children, I promise my plan will be to have an epidural...although if something happens and I can't get one, at least I know that I can do it.  I was sure that I could not do it until they placed Hannah on my stomach.  If you asked me November 12th what one thing I am most proud of that I have accomplished, I would say it was nursing Laura Elizabeth for 1 year.  If you asked me on November 13th, I will tell you it was giving birth to Hannah Sloan. 

Hannah Sloan Rogers was born on November 13th at 1:32 pm.  She weighs 6 lbs and 12 oz.  Her length is 19 1/2 inches.  Her head circumference is 13 inches.   We are completely in love...and so proud of how awesome her big sister is adjusting to our new family of four.  Here are a couple pictures from Day 1. 




 MiMi & Booker
 Big sister showing Booker how to hold a baby.
 Love.
 Needing her turn to snuggle Mommy.
 
 Daddy's new little girl
 Proud Daddy.  I am so thankful to be able to call Clark my husband.

We are are overwhelmed by all the love that we have felt this week from our family and friends.  Thank you to everyone for all your thoughts/prayers/gifts/visits/offers.

No comments: